His research deals with understanding the molecular mechanisms of nutrient absorption/interactions
and their modulation by other dietary components for providing useful means of developing
food based approaches for alleviating micronutrient malnutrition. He is part of
the research team that is studying the mechanism of absorption, interactions and
bioavailability of iron, zinc and pro-vitamin A carotenoids. He is also involved
in characterizing the iron absorption enhancing components from milk, meat, poultry
and other traditional plant sources with known Hematinic activity. He specializes
in using in vitro approaches to simulate digestion and study the absorption, metabolism,
and transepithelial transport of nutrients using cell culture models.
1. Raghu P, Srinivas PNBS, Nair KM, Reddy GB. Binding and stabilization of Transthyretin
by Curcumin (March 2009) Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, In press.
2. Sreenivasulu K, Raghu P, Ravinder P and Nair KM. Effect of dietary ligands and
food matrices on zinc uptake in caco-2 cells: Implications in assessing zinc bioavailability
(2008), Journal of Agr. Food Chem. Vol 56: 10967-10972.
3. Raghu P, KM Nair, S Kasula, S Kilari, Thippande TG. Ferric reductase activity
of low molecular weight human milk fraction is associated with enhanced iron solubility
and uptake in caco-2 cells. (2008), Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. Vol 374:369-372
4. B. Satyanarayana, P. Raghu, P. Ravinder, Madhavana K. Nair, Gastric digestion
of pea ferritin and modulation of its iron bioavailability by ascorbic and phytic
acids inCaco-2 cells (2007) World j. Gastro. Enterol. Vol. 13: 2083-2088.
5. P. Raghu and Mark L. Failla, Assessment of beta-carotene and lutein bioavailability
from drumstick leaves using coupled in vitro Digestion Caco-2 cell model (2007)
J. of Medicinal Food Vol10: 252-257.
6. P. Raghu and B. Sivakumar (2004), Interactions Amongst Retinol Binding Protein,
Transthyretin and their Ligands: Implications in Vitamin A Homeostasis and Transthyretin
Amyloidosis, Biochimica Biophysica Acta, Vol 1703:1-9
7. Rakesh Kumar C, Raghu P, Nasreen NZ, and Hasnain SE (2004), Purification and
characterization of recombinant Rv2430c, a novel immunodominant antigen of Mycobacterium
tuberculosis, Protein expression and purification, vol 36: 249-253
8. Raghu P, Sudip G, Hasib A, Soundarya M, Aruna B and Nasreen Z. Ehetesham (2004),
Dimerization of human recombinant resistin involves covalent and non-covalent interactions,
Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications, Vol 2: 47-53.
9. P. Raghu, P. Ravinder and B. Sivakumar (2003), A new method for purification
of Human plasma Retinol Binding Protein and Transthyretin: Biotechnology and Applied
Biochemistry, Vol: 38, pp: 19-24.
10. P. Raghu, G. Bhanuprakash Reddy and B. Sivakumar (2002) 2,4-Dinitriphenol Inhibits
Transthyretin Amyloid fibril formation through Tetramer Stabilization: Archives
of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Vol: 400, pp: 43-47.