|| National Institute of Nutrition
Hyderabad-500 007, India.
Ph No: #+914027197200
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ,
Dr. Devaraj Parasannanavar, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Scientist ‘B’ (Dept. of Microbiology and Immulogy)
List of Publications:
1) U. Shankarkumar, J. P. Devraj, K. Ghosh, & D. Mohanty
Seronegative spondarthritrs (SSA) and human leukocyte antigen association. Br. J. Biomed Sci. 59: 38 – 41. 2002.
2) U. Shankarkumar, J. P. Devraj, K. Ghosh, K.Karnad., D. Mohanty
HLA association in P.falciparam malaria patients from Mumbai,Western India. Ind.Journ.malarialogy. vol 39: 2002: 76-82.
3) U. Shankarkumar, J. P. Devraj, K. Ghosh, D. Mohanty.
HLA DR1 and DQ1 gene diversity in Maratha community from Mumbai, India
International Journal of Human Genetics 3 (1): 39 – 43 (2003).
4) Umapathy Shankarkumar, Devraj Prasannavar, K. Ghosh, D. Mohanty
HLA-A*02 allele frequencies and B haplotype association in Western Indians. Human Immunology 64, 562 – 566 (2003).
5) Umapathy. S, Parasannavar.D,Pradhan.V.,Badakere.S.,
HLA association in ANCA positive patients from Mumbai, India. Hum..Immunology. 2003:64 (10 ):580.
6) V. Pradhan, J. P. Devraj, S. S. Badakere, U. Shankarkumar, K. Ghosh, D. Mohanty,
Autoimmune studies and HLA associations in SLE patients from Mumbai,India.Int. Journal of Human Genetics.4 (2): 141-146(2004)
7) Devraj Parasannanavar.,U Shankarkumar
HLA Antigen frequencies in renal transplant recipients and donors of Maharashtra. Western India. Int.Jour. of Hum.Genet. 4 (2): 155-159(2004).
8) Shankar kumar, U., Pawar, A., Gaonkar, P., Devraj, P. and Ghosh, K.
HLA allele associations in idiopathic recurrent spontaneous abortion patients from India. J. Reprod.Sci.2008;19-24.
9) Devraj.J P.,U Shankarkumar.,K Ghosh.
Increased frequency of HLA-B7antigen in B27 Negative spondarthritis patients from Mumbai,Western India. (British Journal of Biomedical Sciences 2009; 66:1).
10) Shankarkumar U, Aruna P,Devraj.JP,Bhupali K, Ghosh K,
HLA system- A.Review. Anthropologist 2010; 6:183-97.
11) Shankarkumar U. Deepak G, Devaraj JP,Aruna P, Uday K. Ghosh,K.
HLA-A and HLA-B alleles association Among Psoriasis patients from Mumbai. Indian Jour.Dermat 2011: 56(5):497-500.
12) Umapathy S, Devaraj J P,Kanjaksha G.
HLA-B*07 Alleles in B27 Negative Spondarthritides Patients from Mumbai, Western India. The IUP Journal of Genetics & Evolution: 2011:3:7-14.
13) Vandana Pradhan ,Heba Dalvi, Devraj.P. Rajadhyaksha.A, Manisha P, Ghosh K.
Study of PTPN22 1858C/T polymorphism in rheumatoid arthritis patients from Western India: Indian Journal of Rheumatology: 2012;7(3):130-34.
14) Devraj.J.P. Yeola A., Pradhan V. Rajadhyaksha.A*, Ghosh K.,
HLA-DRβ1*04 typing by Simple in-house PCR-SSP technique for Rheumatoid Arthritis patients. Rheumatology International: 2013:33(4): 867-870.
15) Devraj.J.P. Yeola A., Pradhan V. Manisha P,Rajadhyaksha.A, Ghosh K
Distribution of HLA-DRβ1alleles among well characterized Rheumatoid Arthritis patients from Western India. Rheumatology International.DOI: 10.1007/s00296-013-2758-4.
16) Manoj Kumar, R. Hemalatha, Rajesh Kumar , Ravinder N, J.P. Devraj and et al Epigenetics, Probiotic Metabolites and Colon Cancer Prevention: An Overview of Progress, Opportunities and Challenges. Medical Epigenet 2013;1:60–69. DOI: 10.1159/000354719.
17) Devaraj J.Parasannavar, Anjali Rajyadhaksha, Kanjaksha Ghosh
Application of a simple in-house PCR-SSP technique for HLA-B*27 typing in Spondyloarthropathies (SpA) patients. Arthritis: Volume 2013, Article ID 504109 .http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/504109.
18) Devaraj J.Parasannavar, Anjali Rajyadhaksha, Kanjaksha Ghosh.
Role of HLA-B alleles and Clinical presentation of B27 negative Spondarthritides (SpA) patients from Mumbai, Western India.Autoimmune Disease: Volume 2014, Article ID 327315, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/327315.
19) Pradhan V, Rajadhyaksha A, Yeola A, Devaraj JP, Manisha P, Ghosh K.
A study on anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies in RF positive patients of Rheumatoid Arthritis patients from Mumbai, Western India. Assam journal of Medicine.Vol 4(1):7-11.2014.
20) P.Pinto., Devraj J P.,S.Shetty.,Kanjaksha Ghosh.
The association of HLA-DRB1 and HLA-DQB1 alleles with the development of factor VIII inhibitors in severe hemophilia A patients in India. (Tissue Antigens. 2014 Apr 23. doi: 10.1111/tan.12364 Epub ahead of print)
1. Final Technical Report of the S&T project “Testing of Iron Bioavailability in
Biscuit samples using Caco-2cell line”. National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad,
2. Final Technical Report of the S&T project Iron and zinc bioavailability in beverage
premix assessed using coupled in vitro digestion/caco-2 cell model, National Institute
of Nutrition, Hyderabad, January 2009
3. Final Technical Report. Evaluation of Bio-effect of Ultra Rice on Iron Status
of Beneficiaries of Mid Day Meal (MDM) Programme – A study in a school of Ranga
Reddy District, Andhra Pradesh. Submitted to DBT, Govt of India, December 2008.
4. Nair, K.M.. Fortification as a Strategy to Control Micronutrient Malnutrition.
In Food fortification, A Gujarat Initiative, Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs
Department, Government of Gujarat and Gujarat Roller Flour Millers’ Association,
Ahmedabad, Gujarat 99-112, 2007.
5. NNMB Technical Report No.23.Prevalence of Vitamin A deficiency among preschool
children in rural areas National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical
6. Draft proposal on Country Investment Plan (CIP) for micronutrient fortification
of food supplements of ICDS and mid day meal in the states of Orissa and Rajasthan,
National Institute of Nutrition, 2005.
7. G.N.V.Brahmam, A. Laxmaiah, M. Ravindranath, K. Venkaiah, Sharad Kumar, NairKM
and B. Sivakumar. Acceptability of micronutrient-fortified millet based biscuits
- A study among primary school children, 2005.
8. Anemia in pregnancy- Interstate differences Scientific Report 16, Nutrition Foundation
of India, 2005.
9. K. Vijayaraghavan, G.N.V.Brahmam, Nair KM, R. Harikumar, M. Vishnuvardhan Rao,
N. Balakrishna, Ch. Gal Reddy and B.Sivakumar. Assessment of biological impact of
sugar fortified with vitamin A. Final Technical Report, National Institute of Nutrition
10. Nair KM, S. Ranganathan, J.S.Acharya, B.Sivakumar and Kamala Krishnaswamy: Iron
absorption promoters in fortification of edible salt A. Final Technical Report,
National Institute of Nutrition, 2003.
11. Current Status of IDD in Select Districts of Different Regions of the country,
Final Technical Report, National Institute of Nutriton,2003.
12. B.Sivakumar, Nair KM, Komilla Pareek, P.Ravinder and Kamala Krishanaswamy Studies
on fortification of wheat flour with iron and folic acid, Final Technical Report,
National Institute of Nutrion, ICMR. 2003.
13. B.Sivakumar, Nair KM and Vikas Rao Establishment of a National Facility for
Dry Blood Spot Technology for Vitamin A Estimation, at National Institute of Nutrition,
Hyderabad. Final Technical Report, 2003.
14. G.N.V. Brahmam, Nair KM, S.Ranganathan, Ch. Gal Reddy, M. Vishnuvardhan Rao,
A.Nadamuni Naidu, N.Pralhad Rao, Vinodini Reddy. Use of common salt fortified with
iron and iodine (double fortified salt) A community study in Andhra Pradesh, Final
Technical Report, National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research,
15. B.V.S. Thimmayamma, Parvathi Rau, G.N.V. Brahmam, Ch. Gal Reddy, Nair KM and
N. Pralhad Rao. Profile of diet and nutritional status of residential school ch
idlren, Hyderabad (Oasis school) : A report of National Institute of Nutrition.
16. K. Vijayaraghavan, G.N.V.Brahmam, Nair KM, D.Akbar and N.Pralhad Rao. National
Nutrition Anaemia Prophylaxis Programme An evaluation in Andhra Pradesh. National
Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad (1987).
1. K. Madhavan Nair and S. Kalyanasundaram. Water, electrolyte and mineral balance.
In the TextBook of Human Nutrition. Editors M.S. Bamji, N. Pralhad Rao and Vinodini
Reddy, Oxford & IBM Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 1996, First Edition Chapter
7, pp. 93 107. ,Second Edition Chapter -7 pp 98-112 (2003), Third edition Electrolytes
and minerals Chapter -7 ( In Press 2009).
2. N.Rahuramulu, K.Madhavan Nair and S. Kayanasundaram. A Manual of Laboratory Techniques,
First Edition 1983. Revised Edition, 2003.
1. K. Madhavan Nair. Current Science Vol. 76, No. 5, 698 699 1999. Annual review
of nutrition, volume 18, 1998, Editors; McCormick D.B., Bier D.M and Goodridge AG.
Annual reviews, Inc 4139 El Caminoway, California
1. B. Sesikeran and K.Madhavan Nair. ‘Eradicate micronutrient deficiencies’. The
Hindustan Times, 5th February 2008
2. K. Madhavan Nair. Iron balance in man. Nutrition, Vol 24,No.2, 13 - 22 (1990).
3. K.Madhavan Nair. Iron balance in man. Nutrition, Vol 24,No.2, 23 - 31 (1990).
4. B. Sivakumar, K. Madhavan Nair, G.N.V. Brahmam and M. Mohanram. Control of iodine
deficiency through the safe use of iodized salt. ICMR Bulletin, 26, No.6, 41 - 46
5. B. Sivakumar and K. Madhavan Nair. A reappraisal of the iron status indicators.
ICMR Bulletin, 27, No.10, 100 - 105 (1996).
6. K.Madhavan Nair. Iron absorption and its implications in the control of iron
deficiency anemia. Nutrition News, National Institute of Nutrition, Vol. 20, No.2,
7. A.E. Mathew, P. Jayalakshmi, P. Mohanti, U.C. Beehera, B. Sivakumar and K. Madhavan
Nair. Why food fortification? Nutrition, Vol 33, No.1, (1999).
8. K. Madhavan Nair. Iron absorption and its implications on strategies to control
iron deficiency anemia. ICMR Bulletin 30:15-20, (2000).
1. Sreenivasulu K, Raghu P and Nair KM. Zinc inhibits oxidant induced iron uptake
and oxidative stress in Caco-2 cells: Role of mineral interaction and iron regulatory
protein-1. SFRR Satellite India 2008 Conference 2008, AIIMS, New Delhi, 12-14, February
2. Nair KM. ‘Iron content, bioavailability, factors affecting iron status of Indians’.
Symposium on “Maternal and child nutrition: a life cycle perspective”, organized
by Nutrition Foundation of India, held at India International Center, New Delhi,
28th – 29th November, 2008.
3. Augustine Little Flower, Shahnaz Vazir, Sylvia Fernandez Rao, Vishnu Vardhana
Rao, A. Laxmaiah and Nair KM.; A pilot study on perceived stress among higher secondary
students: Identification of the target group; XXXXI Annual National Conference of
Indian Dietetic Association, A.P. Chapter and National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad,
December 5-6, 2008.
4. K. Madhavan Nair. Caco-2 cell based iron bioavailability: Screening tool for
food industry and for crop biofortification. Bio 2007, Organized by the Vision Group
on Biotechnology, Bangalore June 07-09, 2007.
5. K.Madhavan Nair. Biofortification – Emerging strategy to control micronutrient
malnutrition, XXXIX National Conference of NSI, National Institute of Nutrition,
Hyderabad.15th – 16th November 2007.
6. K.Madhavan Nair, Iron and zinc cross-talk at the site of absorption: Implications
in intervention programmes. 76th SBCI Annual Meeting, Sri Venkateswara University,
Tirupati, Nov 25-27, 2007.
7. K.Madhavan Nair, Nutritional Anemia's in India, National Symposium and CME Programme
on Problems of Anaemia in India : Genetics & Environment, Kolkatta 30th November
to 2nd December 2007.
8. Ravinder, P.Sreenivasulu, K. Raghu, P. and Madhavan Nair, K. Effect of dietary
factors on caco-2 cell zinc uptake: implications in assessing zinc bioavailability.
X meeting of Asian Congress of Nutrition, 9-13th September 2007.Taipei, Taiwan.
9. Brahmam. GNV, Laxmaiah. A, Madhavan Nair K, Balakrishna, N. Prevalence of micronutrient
deficiency disorders in rural areas of select states in India. X meeting of Asian
Congress of Nutrition, 9-13th September 2007.Taipei, Taiwan.
10. Vasuprada Iyengar, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Iron and zinc interactions during
uptake are determined by cellular zinc status of Caco-2 cells. Proceedings of the
39th National conference of Nutrition Society of India, 15- 17th November 2007.
11. P. Himabindu, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Caco-2 cell system as model for screening
iron bioavailability. Proceedings of the 39th National conference of Nutrition Society
of India, 15- 17th November 2007
12. Gitanjali, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Herbs as a source to enhance bioavailabile
iron from a typical Indian diversified diet. Proceedings of the 39th National conference
of Nutrition Society of India, 15- 17th November 2007.
13. P.Raghu, B Satyanarayana and K. Madhavan Nair. Modulation of pea ferritin iron
bioavailability by ascorbic acid and phytic acid: Studies using coupled in vitro
digestion/caco 2 cell model. Workshop for standardization of in vitro digestion/caco
2 cell method for micronutrient bioavailability. HarvestPlus and Department of Human
Nutrition, Ohio State University, USA. September 12-13, 2006.
14. B.Sathyanarayana, P.Raghu, P.Ravinder and K.Madhavan Nair. Ascorbic acid and
phytic acid modulate pea ferritin iron availability in caco 2 cell model. 75th Annual
Meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists 8-11th December 2006, Jawaharlal Nehru
University New Delhi (Abstract book P. I-47 pp38)
15. I.Vasuprada, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Zinc inhibition of iron uptake at
the enterocytes: studies using caco 2 cells. 75th Annual Meeting of the Society
of Biological Chemists 8-11th December 2006, Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi
(Abstract book P. I-109 pp66).
16. K. Sreenivasulu, P. Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Inhibition of cytosolic and mitochondrial
aconitase by zinc. 75th Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists 8-11th
December 2006 Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi (Abstract book P. II-81 pp131).
17. B.Sathyanarayana, P.Raghu, Vasuprada Iyengar and K.Madhavan Nair. Novel method
for assessing iron density in staple foods: development of dot blot for phytoferritin.
Proceedings of the XXXVII Annual Meeting of NSI, 18- 19th November 2005.
18. K. Sreenivasulu, P. Raghu, P.Ravinder, and K.Madhavan Nair. Metallothionein
–II as a biomarker of zinc status: characterization of human recombinant metallothionein
–II. Proceedings of the XXXVII Annual Meeting of NSI, 18- 19th November 2005.
19. K. Madhavan Nair. Dietary management for healthy ageing-Food supplements and
processed foods. Conference on Nutrition and self-care for healthy ageing. ILSI-India
and ILSI –HNI, September 2-3, 2005.
20. K. Madhavan Nair, Iron-zinc interation at the site of absorption and the oxidant
and antioxidant balance in defeicency . International Conference on ‘Antioxidants
and Free radicals in Health – Nutrition and Radioprotectors’ and IV Annual conference
of the Society for Free radical Research in India (SFRR)’ St. John’s National Academy
of Health Sciences, Bangalore, 10-12th January 2005
21. Sreedhar.B and Madhavan Nair K. Zinc deficient gastrointestinal tract of rat
is susceptible to oxidative stress during zinc supplementation. International Conference
on Natural Products, free radicals and radioprotectors in Health (NFHR 2004) and
III Annual meeting of SFRR- India Annamalinagar, 17-19 January, 2004
22. Madhavan Nair .K., Sreedhar. B. Oral supplementation of zinc reduces iron mediated
oxidative stress in the intestine of iron deficient rat. IX Asian Congress of Nutrition,
New Delhi, February 23-27, 2003.
23. K. Madhavan Nair. Regional Conference on micronutrient fortification of foods
- "Fortification of Processed Foods: the way to healthier Diet" Organized by ILSI-India
and Ministry of Food Processing Industries. Initiatives taken by research organizations
in micronutrient fortification of processed foods - Indian scenario, , TulipHotel,
Hyderabad. 8th February 2002.
24. K. Madhavan Nair. Iron mediated oxidative stress of the intestine - Beneficial
effects of antioxidants Ascorbic acid and Vitamin E XXVII Annual National Conference.
Association of Clinical Biochemist of India, January 12-14, Hotel Centre Point,
25. Binita Nayak and K. Madhavan Nair. In vitro bioavailability of iron from wheat
flour fortified with ascorbic acid, EDTA and SHMP with or without iron, XXXIV Annual
Meeting of Nutrition Society of India, CIAE, Nabibagh, Berasia Road, Bhopal, MP,
5 - 6th December, 2001.
26. K. Madhavan Nair. Iron deficient intestine is more susceptible to peroxidative
damage during repletion in rats. 21 - 24 July 2001. International Conference Natural
antioxidants and Free Radicals in Human Health and radiation biology (NFHR- 2001).
BARC, Anushaktinagar, Mumbai, India.
27. B. Sreedhar and K. Madhavan Nair. Intestinal cytosolic aconitase (EC. 184.108.40.206)
as a tool to study the iron and zinc interaction,. Poster: 70th Annual meeting of
the Society of Biological Chemists (India) Osmania University, Hyderabad. 27-29
28. K. Madhavan Nair. Serum ferritin and transferrin receptor (STR) as biomarkers
of iron status 70th Annual meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists (India).
Osmania University, Hyderabad. 27-29 th, 2001.
29. K. Madhavan Nair. Iron supplementation through popular foods items Workshop
on Health and Human Rights in India with special reference to Maternal Anemia. National
Human Rights Commission, Department of women and Child Development (Ministry of
HRD) and UNICEF. The India International Center, New Delhi. 26-27th April 2000.